Found new partner? Run through this new partner checklist and you are ready for Bridge in about 15 minutes. Beat other clueless opponents in the field. Yeah, sure – maybe you cannot be as solid as those partnerships that have been playing together for 5+ years. But, at least you cover the fundamental aspect that can lead to a good partnership.
One of the biggest mistakes in partnership discussion is to talk too much about the bidding system. First, detail bidding discussion requires hours. Secondly, the chances are, what you talk will not come up. So, with the limited time, follow the guidance below. Just circle or Strike any option accordingly – or write on the white space if necessary.
Core Bidding – 3 minutes
- Are we playing Strong NT or Weak No Trump? 1NT range = _____ to ______ HCP
- What is our level-1 opening range? 1C/1D/1H/1S range = ______ to ______ HCP
- What is our WEAK level-2 opening range? Weak Two = ______ to ______ HCP
- What is our PRE-EMPT level-3/4 opening range? Pre-Emptive = ______ to ______ HCP
- Are we playing better minor (1C=3+ cards) or Short Club? 1C=2+cards or 1C=1+cards?
- Are we playing 2-over-1 forcing game -or- standard (bid level-2 over level-1 is natural 10+ HCP only)
- What is our game points ? 25 HCP, 26, 27 , ___
- Overcall after opponent bid 1NT:
- How to bid a No Trump Structure: 12-14 15-17 18-19 20-22 23+
Defensive Measure – 5 minutes
People usually forgot that in Bridge, you become the defender about half of the time. And the discussion about defensive measures usually does not take as long as you do to discuss the bidding. Five minutes and you can be as good as the long-time partnership – at least, it will be awesome for a fresh new partnership.
- Attitude signal (to encourage partner to continue) : low card, high card, __________?
- Discard signal (suite preference when discarding) :
- Want that suit: low card, high card, odd card, even card, ________________ ?
- Higher ranking suit: low card, high card, odd card, even card, ________________ ?
- Lower raking suit: low card, high card, odd card, even card, ________________ ?
- Are we using a count signal? How? ________________________________________
- What is the lead from 4 or more cards with Honor? H x x x x+
- What is the lead from 4 or more cards WITHOUT Honor? x x x x x+
- What is the lead from 3 cards with Honor? H x x
- What is the lead from 3 cards WITHOUT Honor? x x x
- What is the lead from doubleton? Hi – Lo
- What is the lead from consecutive Honor: AKQxxx KQTxxx QJTxxx AJTxxx KJTxxx
- What is the lead from consecutive doubleton AK
- Are we varying lead between NT contract and suit contract?
- What to lead when partner doubling the contract in NT? in suit ?
Detail bidding – 7 minutes or more…
- What is our level-2 opening bid bidding? 2C = Strong (Write it on the convention card if you have the form)
- 2D = ______________________________________________________
- 2H = ______________________________________________________
- 2S = ______________________________________________________
- 2NT = ____________________________________________________
- Up the line principle after opening 1 minor?
- 1H – 1NT sequence / 1S – 1NT sequence
- 1NT Sequence: 2C-Stayman, 2D, 2H, 2S, 2NT, 3x
- Support double after 1m – 1M ? How high? Up to _______
- Forcing bid after 1x – 1y – 1NT ?
- After 1H/1S, what bid to show support balance forcing to game, e.g have 13+HCP 5S332 after partner open 1S: ____________
- Then, after 1H/1S, what bid to show 3 card support with 6-9 HCP: ____________
- Also, after 1H/1S, what bid to show 4+cards support with 6-9 HCP: ____________
- After 1H/1S, what bid to show 3 cards support with invite value: ____________
- Then, after 1H/1S, what bid to show 4+cards support with invite value: ____________
- Cue bidding. Are we playing: Always First Round First — First or Second round control okay
- Sequence after 4NT Blackwood? 1430 1325 _______
- How to use 4C Gerber ace asking? 4C=Always Gerber After NT bid _______________
Just print this page. Don’t worry we already remove all the menu, sidebar, comment and everything else when you are printing. Try it. And also, just remember this:
it’s better to have less convention but with solid understanding, rather than more conventions but forgetting it on the table— 7ntbyme.com
So, have a good session with your new partner. Next move: do the more serious checklist here.